Re: LF: JT9: A New Digital Mode for MF and LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: JT9: A New Digital Mode for MF and LF
From: Steinar Aanesland <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 00:06:02 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

I will try to catch you Markus, although I do not have my  best equipment available today.

la5vna s

Den 27.10.2012 23:59, skrev Markus Vester:
Currently testing JT9-2 on 137420, transmitting during even 2-minute slots.

73, Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:26 PM

This is exciting news being a 2-way mode, especially as it is 9-FSK, so doesn't need a linear PA. With bandwidths as small as 0.4Hz for the long version, no-one will be complaining about how much bandwidth all this digital stuff takes. Unlike OPERA, the software will be well documented and open source.

There is a danger that, with too many digital modes now available, the activity may be spread too thinly, a point Mal raised some time back I believe Somehow though I suspect JT9 will rapidly become the de-facto digital mode on 472kHz and 136kHz.

I hope that one of the internet databases - PSK Reporter I guess, or perhaps an equivalent to WSPRnet - will be able to display JT9 activity as this was one of the great bonuses with WSPR beaconing.

I may give it a go on 500kHz next week.

73s
Roger G3XBM