Re: LF: PA0O log the lost QSO Autopsy

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PA0O log the lost QSO Autopsy
From: g3zjo <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:52:43 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

On 31/10/2012 19:05, Joe Taylor wrote:
Hi Eddie,

Many thanks for sending me the files you recorded at 2114 2120 2128 2142 and 2150 UTC on October 30. They are much appreciated.

As far as I can see they decode just about as expected.  See

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/G3ZJO_files.png

for my results with yesterday's current version, WSJT-X v0.2 r2706, which I had assumed you were using.

Your Rx log file shows very different decoding results, including many garbage decodes. Perhaps you had not upgraded to r2706, after all ?
I most certainly did, mind you, you got me going up to the shack to take a look. This afternoon I had a superb session receiving DK7FC and G8HUH on 137.40 the results are on this group site. I shall continue tests to try and see when and why it throws a fit.

You have also posted some strange looking results produced when trying to receive your own transmitted signal. JT9 is a weak signal mode; while tweaking the performance of the decoder, no effort has been put into making it work on very strong signals. There are numerous ways to make laboratory-style tests -- Tx to Rx in your own shack -- but just receiving the signal with S/N >> 0 dB is not, in general, going to work.

Two points here surely JT modes in general are weak signal modes and I have no problems, I always ensure that any modes I run are decodeable on a local RX on the theory that it is pointless TXing something unreadable. WSJTX V 2702 produced reasonable results and waterfall displays on local tests. G3XIZ signal was visible on the waterfall using my 6m beam as the antenna, when I transmitted my signal was strong on the waterfall and decoded fine with no false decodes V 2706 changed all that no antenna in the RX overloads the waterfall display with the Gain box set to -30. I still suggest that when using Win XP SP3 it is impossible to set the input level low enough to show less than 30dB on the software display and this is the source of overload.

Eddie
    -- 73, Joe, K1JT

-----
No virus found in this message.