Re: LF: Opera crosses the pond

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Opera crosses the pond
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:31:56 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello John, Mike, LF,

That is very impressive. I haven't expected any decodes. My congratulations to John and the the RX stations in the UK.

I think it is not only the path which makes it easier for UK stations to get TA decodes but also the much lower QRN. We often suffer from many lightnings here in EU, like yesterday. And it looks like all the decodes were obtained in times where the path to EU was closed (or at least the skywave attenuated) from the UK point of view. All very interesting. The path from and to TF is somehow completely different and not easily compared to the W1 path. Halldór gets very good results from EU but rather seldom from the US. Maybe it has to do with the directional TX antenna of many US stns.

OP32 is certainly not the most effective mode but seems to establish a new playing field. I must admit that i was amazed by the reports i got from 17 stations (!) in one single OP32 sequence. A summary of my yesterdays decodes is attached. In the late night i stopped transmitting but got no OP TA decodes though...

73, Stefan/DK7FC