Re: LF: VLF/LF-Preamp

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF/LF-Preamp
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 01:11:23 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Peter, LF,

It took a bit longer due to all the MF projects but now i finally tried your symmetric preamp. One hour ago i finished the board, see https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/DSC04409.JPG

However it does not work really well in the first attempt. The probes are just 2 short wires from the resistors. If i come closer to one of them with my hand i am getting some V (!) output signal from my own 136 kHz transmission which take place in the moment. The circuit is battery fed but the output is connected to the scope to show the signal. The signal is much stronger one one wire when i come closer to it. I'm using CAT5 LAN cable, one pair for the 12V supply, another one for the output signal. The screen is not connected so far.

My hope is to improve my receive situation here, at least a bit, because i have no separate LF earth because the RX antenna is on a 35m high building, not in a garden... Another hope is to have a active antenna that covers VLF to MF...

So far i have no TLE2426 on hand, so i used 2x 100 Ohm / 2W resistors and 47uF in parallel to each one to form a virtual ground. The AF transformer you mentioned does not work on 137 and 475 kHz of course. So i took a FT50-77 with 2x 20 turns in the first attempt.

What is your final configuration and where did you connect the shield of the CAT5 cable? Have you found any improvements on the schematic? Or is the project lost in the junk box? :-)

Comments? (Yes Mal, i know, i should use a 100 ft inv-L instead ;-) ).

73, Stefan7DK7FC