LF: MF antenna measurements

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: MF antenna measurements
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 01:34:31 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

MF,

Today i've build a box for matching different antenna impedances to the 50 Ohm output of my PA. An amperemeter is inserted in the coax output, so the antenna current can be measured directly, in certain antenna configurations. The circuit is of course nothing special, just a switch with many steps and a transformer with many taps :-) The amperemeter is analog, class 1.5 (made in England, about 40 years old) and i like the rapid moving of the needle (could be a bit slower though, will add some C...).

Now it was possible to accurately measure the resonance of my antenna system using a fixed coil, it is actually 475.5 kHz, exactly the middle of the band. However the Q is very high, the antenna current drops by 3 dB at 472.25 kHz and 478.25 kHz, i.e. the -3 dB BW is 6 kHz and so the (loaded) Q is 79. Thus i think i will need some kind of reactance compensation and intend to use a series configuration of a L and a C, also added by a stepped switch...

The impedance switch will allow to match the full size dipole when beeing /p. I will do this test in the coming days.

73 and funny MF times.

Stefan/DK7FC