Re: LF: DX

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: DX
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:11:51 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

Main cause of decode fail  with  Opera is  s/n , ie in qsb  if  more than 50%  of the  signal  is lost, as in the  s/n  has dropped  below the  detector threshold , caused  by  signal  fading  or  local  'noise'  source being  activated , then that  cycle will  fail,  lowering the  threshold , results in a  increase of  'false decodes'

Noise  bursts are not a problem as the  duration is  very  short compared to the  'tx pulse length' , and where  'time hopping spread spectrum' is  used   FEC  , then  noise burst's are  not a  problem..in Operas  case, the  data  encoding  provides  this  function , as the  losses can be  randomly or  block  distributed  along the time line

Yes  a  trace on SL is  the  most simple method, but  as  you note,  and will  catch  the  lifts in  signal  during  the  time  period

But as  yet  , this has not  produced  a  full  call  sign   down under , or  reliably  across  the  pond , ok  there  are  data  modes that  will  layer / multi pass , psk  gives  another 6 db  , but these all  require linear  systems  and  at these  power levels, that  not  practical

73 -G..