LF: Thunderstorms and LF-Propagation Disturbances

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Thunderstorms and LF-Propagation Disturbances
From: pws <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:50:18 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi,

I'm observing the strength of HGA22 since some years.
At late evening of 2012-07-02 strong thunderstorm activity happened
over E-Germany/Poland/Czech Republic. That's right below the
reflection area, assuming a 1-hop propagation.
See: http://www.df3lp.de/misc/hga22/propagation_path.png

It's well known that lightnings may heat the ionosphere from
below causing disturbances (SIDs). I very often observed
those phenomena called "early/fast events". But what happened
last Monday evening looks record-breaking. I never saw such
chain of ionospheric disturbances.
See: http://www.df3lp.de/misc/hga22/2012-07-02_thunderstorm.png

Yellow is the raw signal at 10 samples/sec. and blue represents
a running median of 100 data points. The comb-like structures
are from the modulation bursts - I'm receiving the "space"
frequency only. As you can see that's all "signal" and not
qrn/qrm or local interference. A control receiver running
~6km apart confirms the observations.

Peter, df3lp