Re: LF: 0...36 kHz recording, 4 hours from a quiet location

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 0...36 kHz recording, 4 hours from a quiet location
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:36:35 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Henny, VLF,

I run various reprocessings from the yesterdays 4 hour recording (abt 10...14 UTC). To get an overview, this is the wideband spectrogram http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/wide.jpg
Looks good i find. The difference of the lower cutoff frequency when changing the RC highpass is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/Comp.jpg Very odd, the levels in the higher VLF are changing too, a slight decrease, although the resistance is higher. Has someone ann explanation for that effect?
A spectrogram of the ULF range http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/ULF.jpg and ELF http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/ELF.jpg
For comparison, the spectrogram of my grabber in the city, covering the same time http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/widebandcity.jpg The sferics appear stronger, i.e. have a higher S/N while they seem to be lost in the noise on the /p location and antenna. The antenna is the same design (except the 1 MOhm resistor) as in the city and the MSKs appear at good strength too.
Has someone an explanation? May this resistor generate noise or where is the high noise floor coming from? I also thought about microphonic effects...

Unfortunately there was no detection of PA3CPM in "600" and in "6000", http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/600.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/VLF/6000.jpg Maybe due to the same reacon.

Why does the same design produce good results in the city but not in the forest? Where is the noise coming from? Why does G3ZJO clearly receive ZEVS at 82 Hz with this design but not i ?

I'll go on testing, investigating and playing :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC