Re: LF: New Argo - Lock up

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: New Argo - Lock up
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:33:22 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID245qcTRhZ6672X39
On 3/20/2012 5:33 PM, Chris wrote:
Somebody else (not on here) who uses Argo has just told me his system locks up like mine in NDB mode. I thought the problem might be made worse by lack of memory here (the computer's, not mine, although come to think of it....), but he has 3gig so that appears to be nothing to do with it, just processor.

Hi Chris,

   thanks for the report. Argo uses a lot of memory only in the very slow modes (QRSS600 and QRSS1200),
at least until I will have completed the changes I intend to do.   But not in the NDB mode....
The NDB mode taxes  the CPU as far as speed is concerned... even in Slow speed,  to have a decent flow
of the waterfall to allow seeing the CW dots and dashes, a new FFT is computed every 40 ms.  That means
25 FFTs of 2048 samples (for the NDB mode) each second, with the annex magnitude and color mapping
computations.

The PC must be fast enough for this....  as said, I have no problems with a slow Atom mainboard, but I can well
understand that PCs slower than this can balk...   the apparent lock up is probably caused by the fact that there
are no more CPU cycles left to execute user commands.

Of course, if you and/or your friend are using a modern, fast PC, then what written above is no more valid,
and the cause of the lock ups must be elsewhere...

73  Alberto  I2PHD