LF: Transmission characteristics of a two-wire telephone line

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Transmission characteristics of a two-wire telephone line
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:40:56 +0200
Cc: Robin Gape <[email protected]>, Chris Trayner <[email protected]>, Rob Gill <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
I have received an enquiry from an Italian caver about using such a line to
transmit speech, text and images of unspecified characteristics from one
underground location to another. It is not clear whether the cable will be in a
tunnel or in a cave.

The total cable length is about 800 metres.  For speech communications, his
team intends to use field telephones (which are obviously going to work okay),
but he would like to be able to transmit other things. I have sent him copies
of a couple ofCREGJ articles on underground video, but before I can advise him
further I need some appreciation of the attenuation versus frequency
characteristics of the type of line he wishes to use.

Can anyone advise, please?

John F5VLF