Re: LF: Opera NEW V 4/1/2012

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Opera NEW V 4/1/2012
From: qrss <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:33:35 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jan

Just after my report you were added to my RX list.

73 Eddie G3ZJO

On 05/01/2012 01:45, pa3abk wrote:
Graham,

There is some potentional in this program.
One of the advantages is that it can operate with a keyed carrier only transmitter. This eve I also notice that my relatively low profile antenna seems to be detected over some range I didn't expect at all.

The beacon timer is limited to only 10 minutes. Maybe it's better to use a WSPR type beacon timer (in %) or extend the interval to 30 minutes or even 45 minutes. The frequency 501,5/502 is here also used by lopcal CW stations who propably are not heard (yet) at greater range. I don't know if Opera detects these guys and apart from that how it cope with it. If the frequency is occupied will it keep the transmitter wait until the frequency is free?
I'm more or less a proponent for live CW QSO when they are in progress.
Disturbing those QSO's with an Tanaka like morse will certainly give friction with this mode.

When my central heating comes in action, it produces a carrier which slowly drifts over the 600m.
Opera seems the like this very much. Same goes for X-box 360.
The most exotic calls are detected. For some reason not all are "published" and others seems to get thru.
There seems to be a filter inside catching these off. (?)
Don't see this as real problem. But if more stations are generating "false" decodes who can you trust?

Possible a CW ID (@ 30wpm) will at least justify the use of the program legally here in NL.
The Opera part was "testing and tuning".

Did have some fun with the program the last few days, thanks!

Jan/pa3abk