Re: LF: G4WGT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G4WGT
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:44:00 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID233qaHPSD3072X39
On 1/8/2012 2:23 PM, James Moritz wrote:
For your information - I seem to be receiving suspicious-looking e-mails
claiming to be from G4WGT, containing even more suspicious-looking links to
videos. But the sender's address is a Hotmail one, not Tiscali as normal.
It happened to me too...  I received claims by persons that knew who I2PHD is, saying
that they received emails from  [email protected]  (one of my email addresses)
containing spam...  of course not originated by me....

The problem is that it is too easy to forge the sender field of an email message...
you don't even need to know what the password of the account is....  you just use
a so-called open SMTP server, one that do not require authentication (and there are
some, especially in the Eastern part of the world), and a simple PHP script, where
you can put anything to your likes in the From:  field.   Using this technique, you can
even send a message to a closed Yahoo group, pretending to be one of its members,
and apparently it works...  until the much discussed reverse authentication will be
actually implemented, this is an inevitable risk exposure of the Internet world...

73  Alberto  I2PHD