Re: LF: Opera reception

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Opera reception
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:45:38 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
dB Signal to Noise, referenced to the amateur 'standard' 2500Hz
bandwidth - approximating to an SSB or voice bandwidth
Originally sort-of defined by Joe in WSJT.

For an experienced Operator, SSB can be received in 0dB S/N and CW in
about -5 to -10dB (again in this BW)

For any data mode, divide the actual decoding or noise bandwidth (not
the width of the transmitted signal) into 2500Hz and take 10.LOG the
result to see the normalisation process.

So if you use OP2 with its 0.5s symbols and noise bandwidth, a report
of -25dB means in reality 10.LOG(2500 / 0.512) - 25dB = 11.8dB above
actual noise.    So a good strong decodable signal, that you wouldn't
hear.

A value of 'about' 3 - 4dB above actual noise is needed for decoding
this mode. (And that's mean power.   Half the peak Tx on)

Andy  G4JNT