LF: Re: Opera - initial thoughts

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Opera - initial thoughts
From: "rn3agc" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:33:49 +0400
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mike,

No DX reports have been receved, although well-equipped stations in UA and W have been active.

Possibly, you mean also my station. I will clear a situation.
The grabber in KO86NP works with the downconverter.
An exit 30 khz. Therefore there is no possibility to use Opera.
In Moscow (KO85SV) strong QRM - 9+ on s-meter.
At night I have received signal UA4WPF only because this station is close.

73
Andrey

I have been using Opera on 136kHz for about a week now. My initial findings are as follows:

Around 12 stations have reported on my signals, in G, GW, F, DL, and PA. No DX reports have been receved, although well-equipped stations in UA and W have been active.

I have received Russian stations as far as 3500km away.

Several stations are active who are not visible on this group.

The main benefits of Opera require an Internet connection.

The slower Opera32 is more effective than Opera8, which is to be expected.

It is much easier to run overnight tests than with QRSS, because effectively every receiving station has a 'grabber'.

It is easy to run both transmit and receive tests over the same night.

The software changes are now further apart (every few days, instead of daily) and new versions are no longer incompatilble with the previous ones.

Although two stations can independently report on each other's signals, a QSO mode would be a really useful addition.

My conclusion is that Opera seems to be a very useful propagation research tool, and could be a good communications mode.

Is it better than QRSS? Well, it is a useful way to make a two-way QSO during periods of good conditions that are too short to support a QRSS30-60 contact. G4WGT and VO1NA have already demonstrated this. However, I have not yet seen any evidence that it can beat QRSS at the most marginal level. It could easily replace most QRSS3 contacts when signals are good. I can see my call on QRSS grabbers in TF, 4X, UA, VE and W quite often and would have expected some Opera reports from these distances. One issue might be that all stations are in the same narrow sub-band, which works fine on HF with very short ground wave, but may be inappropriate for LF where huge local signals compete with marginal DX. This was a problem with QRSS DX, which is why we now operate split frequency.

I shall continue using Opera, but willl also use QRSS for DX tests.

73 de Mike, G3XDV