LF: Re: SpecLab & Ros data mode

To: RSGB LF Group <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: SpecLab & Ros data mode
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:14:55 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Graham,

Sorry for having to post this response on the reflector... the usual annoyance with certain email providers.
Here is what your provider just "said" :

 host mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.37.120]: 550 SC-001 (COL0-MC4-F14)
 Unfortunately, messages from 195.4.92.92 weren't sent.
 Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is
on our block list.

In other words, freenet.de is blacklisted by hotmail.com . Aargh.

Here is what I originally wanted to reply:

Of course Spectrum Lab cannot affect the sampling rate delivered by Windows to another application. The problem is, as so often, windows itself. It tries to be "very helpful" when multiple programs use the same audio hardware. The soundcard's A/D converter (hardware) can only run one sample rate. This is ok as long as only one program uses it. But when two programs try to use it, with *different* sampling rates (especially when they are not integer multiples) some bad things happen - called resampling. Windows does an extraordinarily poor job at this... for example, it may decide that to deliver 11.025 kSamples/second to application "A" and 48.000 kSamples/second to application "B", it's guesswork at which sampling rate the ADC is actually run. (I often get the impression that in these cases windows rolls the dice). It may be 48000 S/s, but then the 11025 S/s output will be difficult. It may also be 44100 S/s, then the 11025 S/s output receives "every 4 th sample" (in simple terms), but constructing the 48000 S/c output will require some rather tricky (and poor-quality) fractional resampling.

That's why it's the operator's duty to configure all programs to use the same sampling rate. 48000 Samples/sec seems to be a good choice these days.

Also all the best for 2012,
   Wolf .

----