Fwd: Fw: VLF: MFSK-37 kite transmission on Nov 27

To: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: Fw: VLF: MFSK-37 kite transmission on Nov 27
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:49:09 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:11 PM
Cc: Paul
Subject: VLF: MFSK-37 kite transmission on Nov 27

This is a somewhat belated report of my Sunday afternoon VLF kite activity, Nov 27th, 15 to 17 UT. The site and configuration was the same as on June 19 and July 30 this year (see emails below). This time I had mostly good kite elevation and an antenna current up to 0.85 A, radiating about 2 to 3 mW EMRP. I had originally hoped to engage in a two-way contact with DK7FC, but unfortunately sufficient wind came up only much later than expected.

Stimulated by discussions with Paul Nicholson and Stefan about the advantages of visual decoding and the usefulness of DFCW, I decided to experiment with a simplistic multifrequency coding approach, with one frequency channel assigned to each letter in the alphabet, plus the numbers. The concept is somewhat similar to Alberto's Jason mode, but simpler by using absolute frequencies (instead of differences), only one dash (not two) per character, and bit timing based on UT alone.

For a given speed, such MFSK dashes can be about 5 times longer compared to straight DFCW, indicating a 7 dB advantage. There are other subtle factors involved in the sensitivity, like the higher probability of a false hit in the much larger number of channels, versus the necessity to have several dashes correct to decode one complete DFCW character. But a rigid calculation based on gaussian noise statistics confirmed that at the same speed and error rate, 32-channel MFSK is actually 6 dB more sensitive than 5-bit DFCW. On the other hand, trading bandwidth efficiency for sensitivity is nice on VLF, but may not be appropriate for densely populated bands.

The first MFSK transmission from 15:00 to 15:25 was targeted at Stefan's  4.5 mHz "600" window; and I sent "DK7FC" using 5 minute dashes with 10 mHz spacing. One of 37 tones were generated by manually editing the frequency of SpecLab's signal generator every five minutes, according to the following scheme:
- base frequency, space: 8970.00 Hz,
- numbers 1 - 9: 8970.01 to 8970.09, zero: 8970.10 Hz,
- letters A - Z: 8970.11 to 8970.36 Hz.

Then Stefan called on the phone and informed me that I had good SNR in his "60" window. I switched to 60 s conventional DFCW sending "FC DF6NM" from 15:33 to about 16:05. After that, I repeated my callsign in 37-MFSK, this time using 1 minute dashes spaced 0.1 Hz. The last two characters were "73" on 8970.7 and 8970.3 (see attached pic, revealing my typing error).

From 16:24 on, I finally sent a straight carrier again on 8970.002, until I finally had to shut down at 16:54.

As an aside result, I found that it is quite easy to receive on the kite antenna without additional T-R switching hardware, by moving the little 23.4 kHz samplerate-lock ferrite antenna towards the loading coil, and shorting the TX transformer to ground.

Many thanks to Stefan, Chris, Mal, Lubos, Eddie, Victor and Jacek for the valuable reports, and to Paul for running his very sensitive spectrogram.

Best wishes,
Markus (DF6NM)