Re: LF: TA detection of a ham generated 8970 Hz signal?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: TA detection of a ham generated 8970 Hz signal?
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:36:55 +0100
Cc: "Paul" <[email protected]>, "Mike Smith" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Paul, Mike, Stefan,

whatever result may come out tonight, this is truly excellent work! Hats off!

Best wishes,

Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:19 PM

VLF,

The mails are coming in quickly now.
Some background: Paul Nichsolson (well known at least from the last years VLF tests) has probably the most sensitive RX antenna on VLF in the UK. He works a lot with PC analysis of weak VLF signals. A few weeks ago he informed me that there is a Mike Smith in USA who has an E field receiver for VLF and set up Paul's software for analysis. They are always recording the VLF data to a HDD to have the chance to re-process it later and add some special filters and so on. Also they distribute their data stream via the net and so Paul can analyse the the signal from Mike at home in UK.

In this test they try to pick my signal out of the noise over a transatlantic distance, with further statistic data (proofing that this signal is not by accident (or guesswork ;-) ). It will neither be a "message" nor a spectrogram but just a peak coming out of the noise on EXACT the frequency (+- 1 uHz or so). Quite exciting what they seem to work out right now. If this test will be successful and we will have that peak, then we will have some further informations on how many dBs are missed to transmit a short message, like "K" or so, which comes a bit closer to the usual work done by hams ;-)

I will forward surther informations about Mikes locator and further deteils of his RX system if i will get some...

Attached you'll find the latest mail and information status.

73, Stefan/DK7FC

-------- Original-Nachricht --------