Re: LF: TF3HZ

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TF3HZ
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:34:35 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
At 01:06 PM 11/20/2011, Markus DF6NM wrote:
[..]
BTW Stefan's strong DFCW signal is producing an unusual modulation effect on Halldór's grabber, as both the background noise and all other signals seem to brighten up during the dashes. Just like a kind of negative AGC...

I noticed that happening on my grabber here - at first I thought it might be high resistance in the T/R relay contacts of my TS-850 (the banding is not particularly correlated with Stefan's dashes).  I receive a relatively strong signal from Mitch, VE3OT, who sends QRSS "MP" - it is outside the screen range of my grabber but I still hear it well.  Even though my TS-850 AGC is turned off, I know the soundcard in the netbook I'm using has a lot of audio compression built in and I have to keep the audio level quite low to expect any kind approximation to a linear response.  Possibly the more-noise / less-noise banding on the SL display is caused by local signal from MP keying the compression circuit in the soundcard?  Tonight I'll try to reduce the local signal with some slope-tuning high-cut to see if it improves things.  There is also an IF notch filter on the TS-850 I haven't tried yet.

73,
Bill VE2IQ