LF: dx forecast and EUV radiation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: dx forecast and EUV radiation
From: "Hugh_m0wye" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:54:23 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello group,
I was re-reading the chapter on propagation in an RSGB book on Operating Practice, and it said that the ionisation of our precious F layers (and also the D absorbtion layer) was caused by Extreme UV radiation. This is wavelengths 120nm up to 10nm.

We monitor the solar wind and solar flares to try and predict what changes in propagation will occur, but these things seem mainly to be negative influences on propagation - things which disrupt the propagation.

It would be nice to monitor the EUV levels from the Sun as well...
 so my question is really "does anyone know of a source of Internet data for this radiation?"

I see there are images taken at 17.1, 19.5, 28.4 and 30.4 nm here http://www.n3kl.org/sun/index.html and elsewhere, but they are just images, it would be nice to have a NUMBER, akin to the kp index for geomagnetic activity, giving the total amount of EUV hitting the ionosphere.

Anyway, I should be interested to here the groups thoughts about this. Apologies if I'm going over things which have been discussed before, I do try to follow the discussions on the reflector, but I am not able to read every post.

Thanks and 73
Hugh M0WYE