Re: LF: T/A DK7FC

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: T/A DK7FC
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 15:43:08 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Yes Stefan
Some years back 579 from NC1K also similar reports from VE1 and several
QSO'S with others around the same area.
Those were the days of CW and the odd QRS acty until the band acty declined
so I have not bothered much since then, just the odd time now.
Likewise to the East where I had some CW qso's with Russian stations like
RN6BN and reports from Zone 18 and Cyprus.This was a regular occurrence
especially over the winter months.
I then built some 500 Khz transmitters/amplifiers and achieved similar
results, that band has also declined in recent years but I still work the
odd station on that band and check 137 also at times.
I will put more effort into 137 this winter with QSO'S in mind. I am not
interested in Beacon mode and Web reports.
The procedure used to be to CQ and engage in a qso if possible also listen
on 7 Mhz in my case for xband QSO'S for those not equipped with LF or MF
I worked a number of North American stns xband plus others around EU.
 All this info has been published before, so nothing new.
One other difference was antenna types, most were using large inv L's, large
vertical Loops and other large arrays of elevated wires.ie large capture
area antennas plenty of Voltage In/Voltage out.
Today the trend seems to be Small Probe antennas, hand held ferrite antennas
and small loops for receive and although these work after a fashion do not
produce the same results on weak signals as the big arrays.
I have tried some of these Micro antennas and the signals are well down
compared to my larger arrays, maybe 2 to 3 S points which means weak signals
might not be heard/seen at all.
73 and gl with a TA qso on 137
de mal/g3kev

.