Re: LF: QRN in the west?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: QRN in the west?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:27:39 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1316172472; bh=dN3XK5hE+nGkaWZxm1T9afydnElTcnAp7MGS+VzOP98=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=I3ETvMfkzETF+5T39NtNQ3AqhsK3Z7mAi/xdqpj/Sbqf9VpynwCZNjhCMwk/j54KottJQcc6TY7wOR0+CFdeGT6mzrh5fOOvsDD9Zc2/juXrfRUo7eZGDxX/Pd6MunydmeGd4MynviZQBXESm5fNNbgBCirhSgF1vfdwr8ZJymg=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=HNR9LHlx55vAKszUKd/3gPIfClAGrubR/prs/TjAqyGeRFX8ZkdqYW0THLbbw2583BmMJyBNvnhmrUIQOHp3zqeHfcr2Xo8T8eL/Ifi4bgWAaVW58hejRTKBHt3VYmaRDZ3JVYtoQo2kzlsDnZaaZeeueOwwQdD+Zvl2lv4KRGQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Piotr yes long term monitoring does suggest that the best times are often
just after sunset and just before dawn at mid-path.

I think the before dawn period can be good after a geomagnetic event because
the precipitated electons which increase the absorbtion of LF signals are
slowly decaying during the darkness period. However it also depends on where
you are located. In the UK we have no QRM sources to the west (The Atlantic
:-))  ) but we have land stretching to the east. So for us the dawn period
has the lowest QRM because the propagation of QRM from the East is cut off
by the dawn. The East Coast American stations often see the opposite....mid
west states QRM starts to appear later in the night. Even then odd periods
of enhanced signal can pop up at any time.  I always found a general dip in
signal levels here around roughly 0230 to 0400 in winter when the darkness
was longest.

Fascinating stuff.

Alan G3NYK