Re: LF: Re: LF es MF MODES ... a historical perspective

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: LF es MF MODES ... a historical perspective
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:27:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Jim's history lesson is spot on. I recall Mal describing QRSS as "lazy man's CW"

Regards

Peter, G3LDO

G3KEV wrote:
You have just verified what I have always said.
Yes keep an open mind and experiment but in the end all will come to the same conclusion as Yourself.
QRSS/DFCW....

I think if we all co ordinated our efforts on QRS Mode using various QRS speeds to suit the individual requirements there >would be uniformity throughout the LF/MF fraternity and a better chance of being either heard/seen or have a QSO >worldwide.

People who subscribed to this reflector relatively recently may not be aware that, when QRSS and DFCW first started to be used on LF more than a decade ago, Mal spent literally years rubbishing them, going on endlessly about incompetent appliance operators, not-real-QSOs, unbalanced ears, real men only use CW, etc, etc, etc, I'm sure you get the idea. Meanwhile, others put considerable effort into developing and sucessfully using these then-new modes for transmission and reception near and far, and now they have become well-established on LF and other bands too. Eventually there was an awkward phase when G3KEV, bowing to the inevitable, started to appear on spectrograms in QRSS3 mode, but slower speeds were still beneath contempt. So it is rather nice to see Mal has finally embraced these modes, even if that wasn't really what he has "always said". If you want a hint as to which are the most promising new modes for LF and MF, take a look at what Mal is dismissing today, and see what he is using in 10 years time!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU