Re: LF: RE: frequency doubler and divider

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: frequency doubler and divider
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:44:26 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
To prolong an already long thread :-)

A differential line receiver of the 26xx32 and 26xx33 type gives you a good performance.   It has guaranteed switching thresholds; bias both input at half way and AC couple to one of them.  But also has a small amount of symmetrical hysteresis - .   The '32 devices has 200mV, the '33 has 500mV,

You'll find hysteresis very advisable when you actually start radiating a signal using the interface.   A normal comparator has so much gain that if you were to remove the RF source, there is more than likely to be enough pick up from the antenna to feed back round and cause all sorts of spurious oscillations.  (In my case 700 watts of 137kHz at a frequency set by the resonance of the loding coil / antenna).  Having the hysteresis means a minimum signal has to arrive before there can be any square wave generated.

Precede the comparator input with a two stage bandpass filter , Ql = 10 or so, , and you should be able to feed it with any waveform in the knowledge a nice 50% square wave out will result.

Andy