Re: LF: Re: Re: ferrite coil

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: ferrite coil
From: Chris Trayner <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:13:48 +0100
Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Sender: [email protected]
Mal and others,

> The Collins equipment used this method in their VFO'S, permeability tuning

... as did cheap-and-nasty push-button car radios. (Well, they probably weren't
nasty by the standards of the day, and certainly not cheap.) You pulled out the
push-button (which I think engaged it mechanically with the tuning dial), tuned
(which wound the core in and out), then pushed the button back in again to
leave the core at that setting.

> There seems to be some confusion about Variometer. A Variometer consists of
> two coils in series with one rotated within the other to vary Inductance

Someone earlier mentioned his LF Rx ant near his remote-controlled garage door.
I think he's missed an opportunity here - remove the metal of the door, replace
it with a large coil, and he could have the largest remote-controlled
variometer in the world! Now there's style ...

73,
Chris G4OKW
Dr Chris Trayner
School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
The University of Leeds,
Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 113 34 32053
Fax: +44 113 34 32032