RE: LF: SAQ in CT

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: SAQ in CT
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 08:28:19 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Excellent Jay -

 Interestingly the second transmission period was weaker in Alaska and I struggled reading the message cleanly - level of QRN was substantially higher with levels at or below noise.  We did have some noise makers in the continental part of Alaska so perhaps that was it.

The first period was strong s/n wise as I saw in Winter and Argo running NDB fast could detect the space wave (3A aerial current I think?!). I  was expecting worse but DHO38 was pretty reasonable too so perhaps some geomag or other "enhancement" on the over the Pole route.

My remote control software behaved itself for the period and I was very grateful as it had been a little more than touchy over the previous 48 hours. Went back to bed for a couple of hours as it was 0000 and 0300 Alaskan time and only a bit better in Okie. I wished the tuning periods of constant carrier was longer on the second period as the changes in freq and strength using visual software are a sight to behold. I just loved the squiggly lines on the 0900 transmission....

In Oklahoma I could just detect the carrier visually but now way on Earth could I hear anything - I was running the modded AMRAD at 60ft here in OKie and the 35T loop in AK.

Laurence KL7UK and /5