LF: Re: K9AY loop for LF at W1VD

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: K9AY loop for LF at W1VD
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:03:19 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan

I've tried a number of receive antennas for 137 / 185 and 500 kHz and the K9AY, with it's ~20 dB F/B has performed the best of the lot on 137 and 185 kHz. With the pattern directed toward the NE listening for EU stations the null is SW ... which is handy here as thunderstorms are most likely to be in that direction. A standard loop antenna's figure 8 pattern provides equal reception in the direction of the thunderstorms - not a good plan. So the decision to use a standard figure 8 pattern loop or a K9AY cardiod will depend on the direction of the desired signal and direction of the interference.

The value of the terminating resistor is somewhat critical for optimum F/B response. Once the optimum value is found one could probably replace the variable R with a fixed R if desired. I've found it beneficial to install a small ground screen (about a dozen radials that extend slightly beyond the loop) to stabilize the F/B under varying ground moisture conditions. BTW, the F/B holds all the way down in frequency to where the ferrite cores run out of steam ... and up in frequency to the point where the loop is about 1/8 wavelength in circumference (750 kHz).

A couple years back I installed 1000' BOG (Beverage on ground) for 500 kHz oriented the same direction as the K9AY. The Beverage wins out over the K9AY due to the tighter pattern and lower overhead response. Wish I had space for the equivalent 3600' BOG for 137 / 185 kHz! Until that day comes I'll make do with the K9AY.

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2

Typical front-to-back
----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Schäfer" <[email protected]>