Re: LF: TX converter for 137 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TX converter for 137 kHz
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:02:58 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

LF,

I going on with my monologise ;-) ...about my LF TX converter (maybe someone silent is interested) that directly convertes 12.7 kHz (generated by SpecLab) to 137.7 kHz in an IQ mixer. It is a modification of G4JNT's design...

The converter is quasi finished and works well!
The last steps have been:
I measured the output impedance of the transformer, it is 100 Ohm. Then i added a PI low pass filter that transforms to 10 kOhm. This filtered signal looks almost like a perfect sine wave, just very small peaks are modulating the signal. I checked the narrow band spectrum when applying a single tone at 12 kHz and when applying a white noise, limited to 11...12.8 kHz. Single tone: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/Sidebands%20with%20single%20tone%20at%2012%20kHz%20analog%20output.jpg White noise: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/Sidebands%20with%20white%20noise%2C%20analog%20output.jpg Harmonics on the analog output (12 kHz tone): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/Harmonics%20on%20the%20analog%20output.jpg

After filtering the analog signal is fed to a LM393 comparator running at 12VDC. First i used a LT1028 but the comparator has a much higher voltage gain. Rise time is about 50 ns while it took 800 ns on the LT1028. Furthermore the obtained duty cycle is 50+-1 % when using the comparator but it was totally apart fraom that when using the LT1028. After the LM393 i added a ICL7667 to invert the signal and reduce the output impedance of the mixer.

Actually it is possible to vary the soundcards audio level without losses in performance of the digital output! I.e. i can vary the soundcard level from 0 dB (full range) to -20 dB without any changes on the output. If i reduce the level even more, strong jitter occurs on the output. Maybe this could be even improved by further filtering the analog signal. But a range of 20 dB is sufficient. It allows to QRO/QRP say from 10W...1000W remote controlled :-) I hope i will get some kind of linear mode PA by this "AM stage" (future project) that steers the SMPS of the PA...

The digital output of the mixer has strong harmonics of course. There are many peaks in the spectrum that made my worry if this is a suitable signal! But the spectrum of my DDS VFO didn't look much better. So i got the idea to directly measure the spectrum of the TX antennas signal. I put the scope probe out of the window, about 3m distant to the TX antenna while running about 100W by the DDS and the class E PA. The spectrum looks impressing good to me so i lost all my worries about making QRM. See the harmonics at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/LF%20TX%20antenna%20spectrum%20with%20120W%20class%20E%20mode%20PA%20driven%20by%20DDS%20VFO.jpg and a narrow band view at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/narrow%20band%20spectrum%20of%20my%20TX%20signal%20with%20class%20E%20PA.jpg

These curves can be compared to the new H bridge PA that i will run soon.

Some smaller works have to be done until i can replace the DDS by the new converter and then transmitting with SpecLab :-) Apart from QSY this will finally allow me to use a higher DFCW shift than 1 Hz when operating at DFCW-3...

I thought about trying CW to UK. Probably this can only be done when leaving the city. A few km apart i could steer the TX by a 70cm FM link and got the idea that i can even QSY when feeding the 70cm TX with a tone in the passband (e.g. 1...3 kHz). The AF signal on the RX could be put to the soundcard (a 2nd one) and is then converted by SpecLab to 11...13 kHz.... LF seems to be a never ending story regarding upcoming ideas and projects :-)

73s Stefan/DK7FC