VLF: DF6NM kite activity June 19

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: VLF: DF6NM kite activity June 19
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:00:29 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Dreamers,

thanks very much to everyone who commented on my signal yesterday night, and all who are running their VLF grabbers.

Transmission:

My signal was on air on 8970.002 Hz from 18:52 to 22:01, with a long break from 19:26 to 19:52 due to a prolonged rain period, and many shorter interruptions caused by precipitation, low wind, a coil falling over, or a breaking antenna connection.

I'm aware that an advanced notice would have been valuable for potential receiving stations. But I find it difficult to plan ahead this type of activity. Yesterday even while setting things up on the site, I was not at all sure whether I would be able to actually get on air for any significant time.

Site:

The location (49.3874 N 11.1692 E, "JN59OJ02HX" for those who prefer cryptic notations ;-) was the same as in the experiment on Nov 13 last year (see email copy at bottom). While Google Maps still shows large patches of unused land around the former US airfield, "my" field is now one of very few undeveloped plots in the middle of an industrial area, inhabited mostly by large logistics companies. Though I had originally not intended to work into darkness, I found there was still plenty of light from the surrounding truck parking and unloading areas.

Kite antenna and ground:

This time I used a 4 sqm lifter kite (HQ Power Sled L3.0, similar to Stefan's smaller kite). It is held by a 150 m line. This may be stretching the limit a bit, but due to the slope and sag of the line I am sure that the peak altitude always stayed below 100 m.

The previously used 0.4 mm magnet wire had a voltage limit of about 12 kV due to corona appearing along the whole length. It has now been replaced by insulated wire (0.25 sqmm, outer diameter 1.3 mm). The total length is 180 m, with the last 30 m dangling down from the kite, intended to act as a sort of extra top load. Effective height would be around 50 m, giving 3.5 milliohm radiation resistance, or 1.3 mW EMRP at 0.6 A.

At the western end of the unused site, there is a long mesh wire fence running north-south, held by solid metal posts which served very well both for anchoring and grounding. Total resistance of the antenna circuit was around 280 ohms (including 140 ohms for the coil). This is about half of that when I used the same kite antenna in Bamberg with only a few short ground pegs.

The coil was placed below the kite line at about 3 m from the anchor point, hoping to keep the wire well above ground. However this turned out to be problematic due to the horizontal and vertical movement of the connection point. When the kite was low and due west, the wire was too long and touched the wet grass, exhibiting pretty little fireworks. When it went up or drifted aside, the wire became too short, and either plugged itself off, or tipped over the whole coil. You guess how much I like having to reconnect the ungrounded wire, with dark clouds overhead and a slight drizzle going down... I twice found myself holding down the kite line with my foot, then slowly stepping forward until the open end at least touched the earth. Next time I will definitely place the coil much closer to the anchor, and try to hold the connection up by means of some elastic plastic tube.

Coil:

From the previous experiment I knew that the wire capacitance was very close to 900 pF. During the afternoon, I experimented with different coil configurations, and found that I could either use four buckets (184 ohms) with a large 10 cm pitch (ie. 9 Lego blocks), giving about 8 mm radial clearance between one coil layer and the inner radius of the next bucket. The other option was three buckets (138 ohms), stuffed into one another 3 cm pitch and 2 mm clearance (see picture ).

Mainly for mechanical reasons, I opted for the more compact three-bucket solution, but this turned out to be the wrong choice. With power applied, I heard corona sizzles around the coil at about 0.55 A (11 kV). In darkness I could see violet seams near the bottom end of the upper two windings. This means that the maximum usable layer-to-layer voltage for this design is about 3.7 kV. Next time I will definitely go for the longer version, which also has more surface exposed to the wind for heat removal.

BTW all seven buckets connected to 900 pF resonate at about 4.6 kHz - Stefan, how about a 65 km band ;-)

Amplifier and power supply:

Like before, I used one channel of a class-B car-audio amp (Nitro 3000), feeding a 12 : 80 turns ferrite transformer originally wound by DJ2LF. It delivered 0.6 A antenna current (~ 100 W) from 12V x 13 A DC input. It was possible to turn the volume up to 0.7A, but I did not dare to run that level of corona permanently. The amp was fed by a standalone 35 Ah lead-acid battery, which was repeatedly recharged via jumper wires from the car engine during the latter half of the experiment.

Signal generation:

SpecLab's samplerate was locked to DHO, which is very slightly (3 ppb) above its nominal frequency 23.4 kHz. To keep the average phase steady, I took care to never interrupt the software generator whenever I had to take the carrier off air. Anyway the time series recorded by Paul Nicholson shows two major phase jumps around 19:40 (while the TX was off) and 21:20, perhaps due to soundcard buffering issues. One problem I did not see immediately was that the DHO ferrite antenna was too close to one of the jumper wires, temporarily picking up interference when the car alternator was running - once found this one was easily fixed.
Results:
Though the traces at TF3HZ (2547 km) and YO/4X1RF (xxxx) are close to the noise, they are at the right time and frequency, and I do not think that they are random pixels. Halldor's trace even seems to show the outage period after the first bright dot.

On my own grabber, I attempted to compare signal levels from DK7FC (-71 dB, 180 km) and myself (-43 dB, 4.5 km). Correcting this difference (28 dB) by the EMRP ratio (26 mW / 1.2 mW = 13 dB), distance ratio (1/r = 32 dB) plus an additional nearfield correction (1/r³ instead of 1/r from 4.5 to 5.3 km = 3 dB), we find that Stefan was 28+13-35 dB = 6 dB weaker than we would expect by pure groundwave. This corresponds very well to the earlier experience that there is a midday skywave cancellation effect for about 200 km.

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: VLF: DF6NM on 8970 Hz!! Fwd: Fwd: VLF: More food for grabbers

Hello Markus,

This was your strongest signal received here so far. Tell us about your rig! Where did the TX power come from? A battery? Must have been a big battery or you must have had very low losses.

Transmitting during the night could be an interesting point. I could try to use the 100m kite antenna on 8970 Hz as well. Then, no special permit would be needed but my signal would be 10 dB lower. Anyway this could be interesting. Or i could try night transmissions on the fixed antenna....

Happy to see more activity here again! :)

73, Stefan/DK7FC