Re: LF: 325km with the QRPp QRSS30 beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 325km with the QRPp QRSS30 beacon
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 10:23:55 -0700
Sender: [email protected]
Nicely done Roger and Henry!

73 Scott
VE7TIL

On 5/1/2011 10:05 AM, Roger Lapthorn wrote:
"Because of the extremely low antenna efficiencies, 136kHz is not a band for low power transmitters" - a quote from page 67 of "LF Today", the excellent book by G3XDV and M0BMU.

Henny PA3CPM has sent me a screen shot taken this morning that shows my signal reaching him in Holland. Just a few dB more would make quite a difference and make the signal fully readable. I am very grateful to Henny (and others) for working so hard to find me.

I continue to be amazed, and really pleased, that something this simple (2.4W RF, 50uW ERP, QRPp beacon TX and a simple thin wire loop antenna) can be detected so far away, although I know others have done far better.  Of course, I accept it would not be possible without the signal processing available to us on the RX end and the skill of those like Henny winkling out the signal from the noise.

....but maybe in the next edition of the book, the words should be changed? :-)

73s
Roger G3XBM

--
http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/