LF: Re: New RX

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: New RX
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:07:51 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1306145236; bh=WHHk8vSK7Du018FgeWJ/e7Nb4/yNlP0TYanTnYhF19g=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=O6vewnnDph96g9QlFgTAaZg6c+pbiSraYziycxWCpdBjYT3djkNID+lKc4tQGpr8EBxBHdSc2QcyPMDddX3JuQYsBuJB2vD7YqgrN0fuOEQnKvnYs90GrqbMkiDgDmRV6+aInVbpCLzvB+z6E+nSUaog+mJVN47v4uSiyASJ80I=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=lTup406rRvV2ja4YHZA9QjLQJboPNWCRqRP0jM/t7dxzNuxcxzP91Ynqu5ZXSzj6KWEcuuMXAlcA1JYH92cQSO4VHKDS8rkwWvYtSkVRU2JbuAwukyVklHfbYvMmRmoL92qJdIZ1xhybVffbw0YclinkQCX1agsZzYPklNipGIQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear John, LF Group,

I have an SDR-IQ which meets most of your requirements:

Covers LF to 30 MHz with a good communications spec,
Yes - the frequency response is flat from audio frequencies to 30MHz. The RF performance probably isn't "ultimate contest-grade etc etc" but is pretty good and compares very well with other small, portable RXs, especially at LF where many receivers are very poor. It is versatile; you can set up a narrow CW filter, or listen to AM broadcasts in "HiFi" bandwidth, generate a QRSS spectrogram display and so on.

Portable and can readily be run from the car
It has an antenna socket and a USB connection that also supplies power from the PC, and requires nothing much else.

(for field strength measuement etc),
Good for that, since it directly generates a spectrum analyser type display with accurate, user-definable dB scale and essentially any "resolution bandwidth" you might want. This is very hard to beat unless you go to Rohde & Schwarz with a bin-liner full of money. I will certainly be using it the next time I do field strength measurements.

Small and light,
It is a tiny box...

Can interface readily to computing equipment such as a small laptop.
...Of course the PC is an integral part of the overall receiver anyway - the "back end" signal processing, display and audio output functions are done by the PC. It is supported directly by software such as Spectrum Lab and Winrad as well as its own native software. I have mainly used mine with a small netbook which is quite satisfactory... some care is needed to avoid noise pick-up from the lap-top, but this is a general problem for all receivers.

Any particular thoughts or any particular products that might be appropriate?
I guess other SDR receivers offer similar capability, although I have no experience of them. Compared to using conventional receivers, you have to learn a different operating process based on controlling the receiver through the PC keyboard and mouse, and there are computer software quirks and weirdnesses that crop up from time to time. I sometimes wish the SDR-IQ had some conventional control knobs, although the graphical interface also allows useful control possibilities that don't exist with normal receivers, and for LF use in particular, much receiver operating process is actually manipulating a spectrogram display anyway.

The main technical criticism I have of the SDR-IQ is that there is no easy way of using an external frequency standard - but the internal standard is no worse than the usual amateur rig/sound card combination, and is adequate for most things. At this QTH, it is neccessary to connect an appropriate filter between the antenna and SDR-IQ to attenuate the 10s of volts per metre from local broadcasters, but this is also true of nearly all other receivers, which usually don't have preselectors in the LF/MF range.

Compared to other RXs, the SDR-IQ is fairly cheap - so maybe you can persuade your birthday present buyers to throw in the laptop as well ;-)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU