Re: LF: Re: Frequency Stability

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Frequency Stability
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:13:18 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Ken, Martin, and group,

I'd say yes...

8970 Hz * 2e-9 = circa 18 µHz resolution, that's fine.

Even better than most soundcard's short-term oscillator stability, and the dreadful effects caused by the soundcard driver permits.

Even if Radio 4 may suffer from daytime/nighttime propagation effects (depending on your distance to the transmitter),
it will be good enough even for "ridiculously long FFTs".

Alternatively, you could go for an el-cheapo GPS receiver with one-pulse-per-second output. The next version of Spectrum Lab will support that as reference input, quite similar to what Paul Nicholson is using. I am using a Garmin GPS 18x VLC, available for a fair price at RS components. The performance (jitter) is not spectacularly low ...there are "better" GPS receivers out there..., but it should be fine for our applications. And the receiver is very sensitice, I have it running indoors, with a ceiling and the roof above me, still gives perfect lock (9 to 11 satellites in view).

All the best,
  Wolf .