Re: LF: VLF - G3XIZ QRT at 16.50 Z

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF - G3XIZ QRT at 16.50 Z
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:43:54 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=lHyaQMkN43LT4CLnTgulnKPxo3ELZKbmTibHt9fDx4k=; b=Fmta2pYkLttMErhjmNgGUqkRCmCT+b+BxCR4vbebcjAaJjrPQTVOtdvX5EZwjpFp4U Kj+tRzsKFscC6zZhVj8FoQoL5Oqz0RmaB9znPRS7qSzvkpcu369rznaHQRO7vV8rfPnr kuKIuHey8CcA62Yy6gGZ8UaLzWazet7+fNu6c=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris (G3XIZ)

It would be interesting to see a summary here of all the reports you've had with the inverted-L and 100W on 9.0909kHz today and earlier in the week. At best you were around 8dB S/N in 423uHz with me at 45km this morning. I stopped looking around 0900 as I wanted to check 8.970kHz although nothing was seen there. I think other semi-locals were getting you at reasonable levels too.

How many stations have now managed to copy you, at what distance and at what strength? If you know it, what receiver systems were they using and what bandwidth settings on Spectrum Lab or whatever? Your best DX is still, I believe, 218km from Paul Nicholson in Todmorden. The higher frequency stability from the OCXO has certainly helped you get a few more reports from further afield.

Thanks for giving us the challenge and fun of looking for your VLF signal. It beats shouting oneself dry in the ARRL DX contest any day. You have already proved that VLF TXing can be successful from a small back garden style antenna with only moderate power. I am left wondering how successful my 80m sq loop might be at launching a small radiated VLF signal.

73s
Roger G3XBM

--
g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/