Re: LF: VLF G3XIZ - 12/13th March - Station Set UP - Advice Welcomed

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF G3XIZ - 12/13th March - Station Set UP - Advice Welcomed
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:40:57 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris,

My advice:

Am 11.03.2011 14:05, schrieb Chris Osborn:
The PA is capable of giving several hundreds of watts but it has a low output impedance and the aerial system has a high impedance (several kilohms).
To achieve reasonable matching I use a large laminated-core mains transformer with a step up ratio of 1:24
Instead of using a mains transformer i would recommend to use a primary coil that is wound on the cold end of the loading coil. It should be out of bigger wire, maybe 8x0,4mm dia enameled copper wire (in parallel). The optimal primary turns depend on the ration of turns, the losses and the output impedance of the PA and the coupling between the turns. But is would estimate starting with 10 turns is a good idea. Then you may measure the current (e.g. above a 0.1 Ohm resistor) and voltage and calculate the input impedance. You may optimise it to somewhat between 4...8 Ohm. BTW, when watching current and voltage waveforms you can securely check if the system is resonated.
 Link coupling to the loading coil may be an option but my early attempts at this merely shorted out the loading coil and damaged the PA, so I have avoided it.
If you start with the link coupling, start with low power (=volume). If you are not sure , just switch a 4 Ohm resistor in series. Just apply some watts. Then you can measure the current by measuring the voltage across this 4 Ohm resistor. Try to achieve a 1:1 voltage divider out of that resistor and the antenna. Then your antenna has 4 Ohm as well. After that throw out the resistor and slightly increase the power and measure again. Measure the PA input current and voltage and calculate the efficiency. Measure the voltage waveform when doing QRO to check for clipping or so.

For my next experiment i have to wait some time it seems. No wind on this weekend. Today i found that we have a generator at work for /p tests. It has 4.5 kVA, single phase :-) Maybe i can borrow it! ;-) :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC