Re: LF: Lowfer beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Lowfer beacon
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:34:05 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=HrHON1HqPAx3pyIAnlfmJ2hXs0X1L4UuSLNFybgnLZA=; b=tTrGIa5PcDyO3QWdqGErzw6E3fuU5khFEa84AGDkE3qbFaXPA2gQwI2wIWWht79/XT F6nKxSz+rWlVykcl/ztm/etWG2/gwdVRUTikzQ5o1xEU21uwEhlIrCC3AakkpVz5kbsa fCAkX7qfosDWXdeTslD8u8Km4WeJO9F6CmkQQ=
Sender: [email protected]
Martin,

     I don't think it would be possible with those power levels and
antenna limitations.
I am much closer to the coast than Bruce and tried running 12W out
into a much larger antenna than allowed by the LOWFER rules and even
the best receiving stations in the quietest locations had nil copy.
John W1TAG ran 70W out into an antenna similar to mine and was copied
in Germany by Hartmut Wolff - Hartmut had ideal receiving conditions.
So I would say that the minimum power needed to cross the Atlantic
from the U.S. East Coast is greater than 12 Watts but possibly less
than 70Watts - again assuming that one could use an antenna much
larger than allowed by the LOWFER rules.

 Joe VO1NA has crossed the Atlantic with between 5-10Watts into a 100m
long antenna, but Joe is in St. John's Newfoundland which is 700 miles
closer to Europe!
(Max allowed for a LOWFER antenna is 15m, N.B. that Joe has a 100m antenna.)
--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ