LF: Upcoming 8.760kHz earth-mode test by G6ALB

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Upcoming 8.760kHz earth-mode test by G6ALB
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:23:20 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Andrew G6ALB, who is 3km west of me in the next village, is getting set up to TX on 8.760kHz earth-mode (conduction through the ground) in the next few days. Andrew does not have an NoV, but according to my understanding of the latest OFCOM pronouncements, this isn't required for this sort of operation. He is able to run up to 100W QRSS, CW and WSPR into earth electrodes spaced about 30m apart.

I've already managed to copy my own 5W VLF signals, via earth-mode conduction, at around 3km in parts of his village just to the north and south of his QTH, but NOT outside his front door with my 80cm portable loop because of very high local noise levels in his street from something. It will be interesting to see if I can copy Andrew's signals over here where the noise floor is lower. Also, he can run 13dB more power, so that should help.

For the first tests I'll use either my 80sq m vertical loop antenna in the garden which has been used on 136 and 500kHz or the 20m spaced earth electrode set-up. As signals will be primarily by utilities assisted conduction, the latter is more likely to work.

If we can get this to work there is a chance of a 2-way QSO in the Dreamer's Band via earth-mode conduction quite soon. It is good to have someone so close who can co-operate in this. My grabber will be active during the tests so Andrew can see for himself what is being received. See http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15047843/xbm_grab.jpg . It will only be during the tests.

The most probable date for the first test is Tuesday evening Feb 1st around 7-9pm, but this is to be confirmed.

I'll keep you posted.

73s
Roger G3XBM

--