Re: LF: new VLF antenna at DK7FC

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: new VLF antenna at DK7FC
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:53:33 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Daniele,

Am 30.11.2010 07:40, schrieb Daniele Tincani:
Hello Stefan,

I'm about to complete the construction of an E-probe based on your design (the original one, with both BF862 on the same board). The resulting PCB size is not that small as I preferred not to shrink it, for example all passive components are normal through-hole parts, mounted horizontally, etc. (only the 6 x 1N4148 at the output are mounted vertically). Now I have to decide about a suitable box, length of probe, type of connectors/cables, etc.. What do you suggest, based on your experience?
You can choose what you want. Either just use bonding tape and some aluminium foil (connected to ground) or a normal metallic housing. Even no shielding is OK. I have managed to solder the whole circuit on a 3cm x 4cm PCB and it can be done even more compact by using no PCB but just soldering the parts together and fix them by some tape. Then it can be put into a PVC tube or so.
For example, is a metal box mandatory (or highly recommended)? Is the length of probe critical (e.g. not longer than x, not shorter than y)?
On 137 kHz i found that 30...35 cm of a 2mm diameter copper wire is optimal. This is what i am using on VLF as well but maybe more is suitable as well. It depends on your location! So, if you have a strong LF BCD stn near your QTH it might be useful to limit the signal on the gate, not to overdrive the JFET. A longer probe will give a stronger signal but perhaps no better SNR! The longer the probe, the higher the probability for IM! Just try the 35 cm cm length. It works here and on the 4X1RF grabber as you can see :-) Or use a longer probe and cut it in some steps to see a difference. This is of course a litte tricky without having a test signal out of some distance.

The wind forecast for saturday is promising! If this is confirmed on Thursday, i will announce my 9th experiment this weekend. Maybe you can check all 3 antennas then ;-)

73 and good luck!

Stefan/DK7FC

PS: If the results are then still bad, it is probably not caused by the antenna design but due to the location or EMC issues. So then you have one worry less ;-)
Any suggestion is welcome.

Best regards
Daniele