LF: dismal

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: dismal
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 06:51:38 -0900
Sender: [email protected]
Well not exactly dismal.  Wind damage up here in Alaska is going to take some time to repair - roof shingles are loose/lost, multiple trees down and sub zero F deg temps means radio antennae are taking a back seat.

I did repair the K9AY and started to fling cables over trees but lost the feeling in the fingers and face in the wind so had to stop for a while. I must be getting old cos this hasnt been an issue in for me in the Polar regions for the past 35 years.

Long haul LF/MF over the pole arent good at the moment either and even my dx'y beacons to Russia arent that strong. Europe DCF39 is some 35dB down on what it could be - given the geomag/lat the delta variation on over the pole shots at LF is far greater than more temperate latitudes. Some small hit from the sun and any proton amount can zap us up here for days on end. I am looking South also towards VK/ZL which is far less affected.

Ive installed the new computer and seems stable enough save the dang USB to Serial interfaces driving the radios which are a mainstay on my remote operations. Ill be deploying the VLF loop and RX before I leave and now have a few internal and external 24 bit sound cards to choose from.  Given the weather the 137 and 500 TX's will be staying offline - probably.

Anyway good to be home for the festive season - vy 73 to all and your families -

Laurence KL7UK Wasilla (we can see Russia according to Sarah)

http://kl7uk.xcom/Alaska.html

=