RE: LF: MF_Beacon DI2AF is running in WSPR_Mode

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: MF_Beacon DI2AF is running in WSPR_Mode
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:21:04 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jan,

the coil that troubled me last night is the elevated loading coil. It is at the
top of the vertical section and its function is to increase the average current
through the vertical section, and thus the radiation resistance. As it is
hanging at the topload wire it causes some "sag" what is not so good. Therefore
the coil is contructed for minimal weight. It is wound on a plastic 1 liter
"yogourt box" with no additional protection of the wire. Advantage is it's
weight (only 190 gram for a 200uH coil with a Q of 180 !). Disadvantage is that
it detunes the antenna when wet, but as I do not transmit when raining (due to
arcing) and it dries very rapid up there, it is no real problem. But  these
days the coil wss covered with a very thin ice layer that detuned the antenna
so I had t retune the loading coil at the base. During my QSO with Louis I
noticed that the antennacurrent was going down. When I pointed the flashlight
at the loading coil I saw water dripping of, so the ice was melting (despite an
outside temp of -5C).
Reactance of the 200uH coil at 500kHz is 628 Ohm. At a Q of 180 the loss
resistance is 3.5 Ohm. Last night I was running 200W out, resulting in an
antenna current of 2.2A. The heat production in the loading coil was thus 17W
during "key down", so about 8W average during my transmission.  And probably
the ice lowered the Q, so it there be even more loss. Anyway, it was sufficient
melt the ice.

73, Rik  ON7YD