Re: LF: ROS Latest with I/Q output

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: ROS Latest with I/Q output
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:23:26 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Not sure which G3PLX product you're referring to...

There is/was  article  in rad  come  covering  I think  a  dds  tx/rx  , may of been  only   tx , but  the  project  seemed to  stall  at the  end , it was a  HF  all  mode tx using  software  defined techniques .. as i say  g3plx  was  air  testing on 80  quite a  while  ago , but  nothing  came  of  it  ..pity

G..

Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:06 PM

Not sure which G3PLX product you're referring to...

It is simple to do a DDS exciter, but you can only 'modulate' a DDS by reprogramming it in freq/phase /amplitude tio teh extent the chip allows.  So FSK modes like WSPR and JTxx are a doddle.

Narrow band modes that need amplitude variation are possible if the sampling rate (DDS reprogramming) is a lot higher than the signal bandwidth - this is necessary to keep the alias products to a minimum as subsequent anti-alias filtering is impossible if you are generating the waveform this way.   PSK31 formed by reprogramming an AD9852 DDS at 7812.5Hz (250 samples per symbol) gives < -60dB spurious.   The next 5MHz GB3RAL when it comes on line will use this technique.

A DDS followed by an I/Q upconverter is also straightforward.   I've built an AD9851, IQ upconverter and allpass network into a small diecast box, frequency controlled via RS232 interface.

And for narrow modes, you don't even need I/Q outputs from the software.  A pair of opamp all-pass filters will generate quadrature drive for a single tone input, and can be adjusted to give a couple of 100Hz bandwidth with 40 - 50dB sideband rejection.     All the design data / circuits can be found on my website
On 21 November 2010 15:47, Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> There are plenty of receiver packages for Softrock. clones  and similar - now how about more SDR transmitter software.<<<<

What  happened to the  G3PLX  project  , I had a  ssb  qso  with  him using  it  , but  never seen  anything  since ?

Surely  it  must be  'simple'   to  drive a DDS  to  make a  low  power  exciter ....  hopefully  it will  replace the  3 ft  ( 1 mtr)  cube  of racal  equipment  I need  to  use on  mf  in the  near  future

Its  just  occurred  to  me , if I/Q  is  now  coded, then the   ROS - VLF  , based on  25 Hz  max shift @  8 KHz    may be opened up to  other bands ?

G..

Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:41 PM
Subject: LF: ROS Latest with I/Q output

At last !!!!!!!!

The first software author to provide datamode stereo I/Q outputs to drive a direct image cancelling upconverter
.
The latest version of the ROS software, Ver 5.9.8 beta, drives all my direct upconverters (LF - HF and SHF)
perfectly,  without any need for narrowband analogue phase shift networks

Congratulations to Jose for listening and responding to this request.

The only other software I know of to provide the I/Q output option is G3PLX's SDR transmitter for SSB/FM/AM voice  http://www.g4jnt.com/SDRTxSW.htm  and one or two other 'specials'

There are plenty of receiver packages for Softrock. clones  and similar - now how about more SDR transmitter software.