VLF: Long time transmission on earth antenna

To: [email protected], Paul <[email protected]>, Renato Romero <[email protected]>, Bernd Grupe <[email protected]>
Subject: VLF: Long time transmission on earth antenna
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 21:47:20 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear VLF,

The recent discussion about the optimal frequency and propagation on a given RX/TX distance is an interesting issue. Furthermore Markus/DF6NM and Paul Nicholson has demonstrated that it is possible to detect a 5 uW EMRP signal in > 1000 km if the integration times are very long (>5 hours) and the carrier is (VERY) stable in frequency.

Since my earth antenna, currently 600m spaced earth electrodes and about 700 Ohm overall losses, seems to have a not too bad efficiency (remembering my 250 W DFCW-600 transmission was undoubly copied by Michael Oexner in 49.6 km on 8970 Hz) it could be possible to receive a long time transmission, GPS locked, in a very small FFT too. The advantage is that this antenna has not to be resonated and covers the whole VLF/LF spectrum with "suitable" efficiency. Thus it will be possible to try different TX frequencies and one can see if there are optimal frequencies for different locations, knowing that the antennas efficiency is a function of the frequency.

Thus i want to do a VLF 24 hour non stop transmission, starting on 8970.00500 Hz. I have got some big lead acid car batteries (12 V / 300 Ah in sum). First i want to try my small PA (300W) running at about 100 watts. For that, i will leave the car into the forest, over the night.

I am still not sure if my GPS receiver is working in the forest but we will see.

Note that this test cannot be compared to a kite antenna experiment. The signal is probably 30 dB weaker! Anyway it is worth a try, with longer transmission- and integrating times. Additionally the antenna may have some directivity. This would be interesting to be confirmed. S/N oriented stations may be preferred but everyone is invited to try to receive something :-)

If some RX stations would receive this very weak signal, they will be able to provide informations at which time the signal level was strongest and when the S/N was best.

Attached you find a SpecLab usr file with probably useful settings. I have choosen a FFT of 141 uHz (width of one FFT bin). If you want you can use this for reception.

Please let me know if you are interested to participate in this test. It shall start in the late afternoon of wednesday, 10th November. The exact starting time is not sure since i have to be at work in the morning. Furthermore i want to reduce the earth rod losses even more by applying another 20 rods what will take some time. The experiment has to be during the week since on the weekend, to many people are crossing the way there...

73, Stefan/DK7FC