Re: LF: IC706 Mk2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: IC706 Mk2
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:02:40 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Kevin,
I found the IC-706 Mk1 to be a good stable receiver on 136kHz but rather deaf. However it worked well with a with two G0MJF 136kHz pre-amplifiers and tuning arrangement when used with a small antenna.

It was used in a 137kHz/7010kHz crossband QSO on the 14th October 2003 with the late Laurie Mayhead, G3AQC when I operated as CN2PD from Marrakech.

The Mk1 was a good CW transceiver when fitted with the appropriate CW filter but pretty awful on SSB.

Regards

Peter G3LDO

 Jim, Dave and others,

My "opened" IC706 Mk2 performs the same as JIm's Mk2g from 500 kHz down. Output waveforms [CW] deteriorate badly from sinusoidal when one attempts to maximise power output. Also, the overall efficiency is very low.

I only use my Mk2 as a driver and run it as lightly as possible. It keys well and throws a clean stable signal through the VK2DDI Grabber on the other side of the Tasman [on 508.1 kHz.]

Perhaps I should add that it is a poor LF receiver - lack of sensitivity and some "birdies". It is OK at 500kHz but still relatively insensitive.

73,    Kevin   ZL4MD