Re: VLF: Re: DK7FC's 7th VLF kite experiment

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Re: DK7FC's 7th VLF kite experiment
From: Piotr Mlynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:44:36 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan Schäfer pisze:
Wow!
Dear VLF,
This was very nice to read. So many messages and so many positive receptions. I am really impressed!

*Many thanks to you all* who have been active on this day, watching on 8,97 kHz, the Dreamers Band :-)

*We have a new world record of the maximum distanced reception on VLF (by amateurs): SQ5BPF at a distance of 904 km with excellent S/N.* Congratulations!! See attached picture.

Thanks to Markus/DF6NM for QSP to the reflector. Sorry to Wolf/DL4YHF that i was not QRV on 2m CW but there were problems to that time (see below). Thanks to SQ5BPF for the positive SMS ;-) Thanks to the US and canadian stations who tried to receive the signal. It becomes more and more probably since the S/N values are impressive here in EU.

Congratulations to all successful receiving stations, especially the new ones (on 8970 Hz) which are as far as i can see: Daniele Tincani, SQ5BPF, DD7PC, DF0WD, F1AFJ (683 km since my locator is/was JN49IS), F5WK (very impressive S/N 25 dB at 460km distance!), DL3ZID(463 km) :-)

Dear Stefan, VLF ,

Congratulations to you for ,again, your remarkable efforts, passion, knowledge and skills resulting in another, world-wide acknowledged VLF experiment. Unfortunately, i was away from home by the time the experiments were taking place so i could only read e-mails with rx reports and remarks. I guess you recall some discussion about field strength ,propagation models etc.. among some "Dreamers" which took place, here, on this reflector, after your second/third vlf experiment. Paul Nicholson has introduced us to a paper dealing with some theoretical considerations
about EM waves travelling in  earth-ionosphere waveguide:
http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/16973/53712465.pdf;jsessionid=995C2F2A8DC7FFC28D518D8FF1745D7C?sequence=1
I 've written fortran code based on egn. 5.2 of the above paper and i have already presented some theoretical estimates based on data taken from your previous experiments. Today, i present another theoretical E-field strength estimate( attachment) based upon your recent setup i.e with assumed antenna current of 1 Amp and its vertical length of 200 meters. The height of ionosphere has been assumed to vary between 60 and 80 km f = 8970 Hz. A separate, 'single point' calculation has also been made for the tx-rx distance of 904 km i.e. between you and Jacek,sq5bpf and the calculated effective field values for 60,70,80 km of ionosphere height are: 3.32; 2.85; 2.49 respectively
(expressed in microVolts/m).

73, Piotr, sq7mpj

p.s.
in the course of collecting some literature dealing with propagation models of EM waves in the ELF_VLF_LF range; 'receivers' and 'antennae' i have found an interesting paper which title ( and contents) reads ( in our,radioamateur vocabulary)
as simply another loop antenna and receiver for VLF reception  :-)
http://www-star.stanford.edu/~vlf/publications/2010-02.pdf

PNG image