Re: LF: Re: TF?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: TF?
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 21:42:56 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Chris,

This is a very pleasing message. I am happy and proud about this. :-)
Well, 2872 km is a real heavy challenge! But surely i will try to send you a suitable signal (seems, i need a new generator ;-) ) and the winther season may help us a little.

Oh, sri, if you are new in the group (?), welcome! :-)

First, most of the activity is on LF/137 kHz or MF/500 kHz, as you probably know. Have you ever been RXing on 137 kHz? I think some people would be very interested to be copied in Israel. Me too. I plan to be QRV again on 137 with the kite antenna soon...

Regarding VLF RX antennas: The PA0RDT mini whip is used by many RX stns on VLF (mostly with some modifications, such as higher C and L values and/or band/low pass filters) and is prooved to be well suitable. There seems to be a tendency that E field antennas are performing better than loop antennas in a noisy region and are mostly better than a long wire antenna.
I have built an E field antenna too which is running all the time on my grabber (http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber.html). You can see the antenna here: http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber_Antenna_location.html  and the circuit of the antenna is here (today updated!): http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/8,97kHz%20active%20E%20field%20antenna%20by%20DK7FC.jpg

Chris, there was a lot of knowledge accumulated in the last months here in the group, so if you have any questions, just ask. No problem ;-) I have no ideas about SDRs here but all the experts are HERE! ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC

PS: Good luck building the antenna!