LF: SAQ in Canada

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: SAQ in Canada
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:01:51 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
SAQ was received quite well this morning in central Canada (FN15). As an experiment, I compared two antennas: a 100-foot perimeter single-conductor loop in the trees (vertical plane) about 200' from the house favoring a N/S direction and an e-field probe (Mini-Whip) about 20 feet high in the clear but closer (30') to the house. Each antenna's output was processed on a separate computer using Spectrum Lab. The SL settings in each case were identical with 60-Hz hum reduction filters working nicely. Screens were viewed side-by-side. Copy was quite good from the loop in the woods but no trace at all on the Mini-Whip screen. That was a surprise for me - the Mini-Whip antenna works well for other things. Attached screenshots are from the loop in the woods. Too blurred to decode the CW visually but headphone copy was clear with nice crisp keying. My guess on why the loop so outperformed the E-probe: the loop's N/S orientation rejected interference from a power line whereas the E-probe took the full brunt of it.

Bill