Re: LF: G3XDV off

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G3XDV off
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 01:25:52 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi MIke,

Am 08.10.2010 11:29, schrieb Mike Dennison:
Well, it is possible but I can't confirm it. I think many LF
operators have had small fires because of the very high voltages
(especially on the old 73kHz band)  which often make conventional
insulators into conductors, for example the plastic guttering on my
conservatory. I even had a piece of perspex catch fire very
spectacularly - and that had been salvaged from a commercial QRO LF
station. It's probably corona discharge that starts the breakdown of
the material.

For my planned LF/VLF 'office antenna' i have got the insulators before a few days. Let's see how much voltage has to be applied to get ceramic insulators for 24 kV rms (under rain and 60 kN and 30 years CW) burning, hi ;-)

73, Stefan