LF: Re: VE7TIL TX Loop tests continue.............

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: VE7TIL TX Loop tests continue.............
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:40:38 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Conditions here (FN15) not so good last night. The usual morning "bright-up" was less pronounced today. Discernable on-frequency traces for several hours and after daybreak enough of Scott's signal was visible to confirm his DFCW keying signature (I'm familiar with it by now) - but cannot say a complete ident was received. Nothing seen from John this morning.

I am unsure just what role high QRN plays in determining whether or not reliable copy is possible. The static crashes are continuous on LF these summer nights - I had around S9 on the meter just from QRN so it must be doing quite a number on my front-end gain. I tried turning off the AGC for a while but had to manually cut the RF gain so much to avoid clipping it didn't seem like a good idea. With the AGC on at least there is some possibility of weak-signal energy getting through between crashes if there are QRN-lulls here and there. I'm wondering if some adjustable-threshold hardware clamping before the signal goes into the radio would be effective? Given the improvement in VLF weak signal detectability when applying software clamping (Spectrum Lab) - would a symmetrical hardware clamp work too? Anyone tried it?

73,
Bill VE2IQ