Re: LF: RF and Combustion tests, and sparking, and TVI

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RF and Combustion tests, and sparking, and TVI
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:27:44 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Andy

In Canada, to obtain a field electrical safety approval for an 'unknown' polymeric or other non-metal enclosure the material must pass the following test:

Using a paper match or butane cigarette lighter apply the flame directly to the material at its most vulnerable spot for 15 seconds then remove.  If the material continues to burn after 5 seconds it is considered a fail, if it self extinguishes within the 5 seconds it is a pass.

The above is good enough for insurance underwriters here and is codified in the CSA "SPE-1000 model code for the field evaluation of electrical equipment." I would suggest it be used in cases where fire is a concern for amateur purposes.

Full product certification flame tests are far more rigorous but the above is considered acceptable for one of's and prototypes...

73 es GL
Scott