Re: LF: ERP calculation (revised)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ERP calculation (revised)
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 13:07:22 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Roger,

thanks for sharing your results!

The directional dependence should be a simple cosine law, so going from 45° to 0° would give you another 3 dB, or 3.8 uW ERP. Thus your total radiated power was 2.0 uW (EMRP). At 62 km, this gives -14 dBuV/m, which should indeed be well readable in QRSS 3 under quiet conditions.

Taking a loss resistance of 60 ohms, 4 watts would have given you an antenna current of 0.26 A. The radiation resistance is then
 Rrad = EMRP / Iq^2 = 30 microohms.
A standard formula for loops is
 Rrrad = 31171 ohm * A^2 / lambda^4,
resulting in an effective loop area
 A = 155m^2.
Note this is using the radiation resistance for a loop in free space, as the effect of ground is already included in the earth antenna picture. For an above-ground loop with a mirror image beneath it, radiation resistance would be doubled.

Best wishes,
Markus (DF6NM)