Re: LF: Re: Re: JA's NI and GM into AK (and VE7 Im sure!)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: JA's NI and GM into AK (and VE7 Im sure!)
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 01:15:05 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Jack

Build a RX loop.
73 Scott

Jack wrote:
Wow...I'm impressed...maybe depressed ;(
I'm still not seeing NI, but it's no wonder with over 60 dB of noise to contend with...HA. I've been struggling with the 20/S9 noise problem for so long now, I'm trying to make any sense as to whether to continue on with this insane problem. The notion that's it's going to go away by itself is only a whimsical dream. It's no wonder I can't see the NI station, let alone even have a two way contact with VE7BDQ with noise like this! If I thought it was going to be this bad, I think I would have had second thoughts of spending that much money on a R75 receiver just for LF. I know this receiver is known to be really hot for LF, I just find it hard to believe there is that much difference between my Icom 740 and transverter and the R75 as far as sensitivity to "natural" background noise. I'm talking about a difference of going from <S1 noise to 20/S9 noise level, that's a ~68 dB increase! It's hard to compare the two since one is on the mini-whip..the mini-whip is no hell for receiving either even after the mods.