LF: 500 v 1800 kcs

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 500 v 1800 kcs
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:59:31 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
MF GRP

Having consistently used both bands for some time I have observed that both bands are similar as regards propagation and general conditions.
1800 kcs(160m) has the advantage that Antenna efficiency is better, more power is permitted and there is worldwide activity, whereas 500 acty is very limited to a few countries and limited bandwidth of a few kcs.
There is nothing to be gained flogging 500 with all the disadvantages, better to concentrate on 137 kcs.
From now on I will concentrate on 160 m and 2200 m. I have worked long haul on 137 even during the summer, 1000 miles plus with ease during daytime to OH and I5 area and spectular results after dark to Russia, and during winter there is no limit.
73 de mal/g3kev